Israel, Syria Agree To Ceasefire After D£adly Clashes That Cla!med Over 300 L!ves
Israel, Syria Agree To Ceasefire After Deadly Clashes That Claimed Over 300 Lives

The Israeli military, however, granted a two-day window for Syrian internal security forces to enter Sweida to restore calm.
Israel and Syria have reached a temporary ceasefire agreement following a deadly wave of violence that swept through southern Syria’s Druze-majority Sweida province, leaving at least 321 people dead and hundreds injured.
The truce, brokered with backing from the United States, Turkey, Jordan and neighboring countries, comes after a week of intense fighting between Druze factions and Bedouin fighters, and Israeli airstrikes that pounded Damascus and Sweida.
Reuters reports that Tom Barrack, the U.S. envoy to Turkey, announced the ceasefire on Friday via a post on social media platform X, urging Druze, Bedouins, Sunnis, and other minorities to lay down arms and work toward a “united Syrian identity.”
Israel had earlier launched a flurry of air raids targeting Syrian government forces in Damascus and southern Syria, accusing them of brutal crackdowns on the Druze community and warning that it would not tolerate further troop deployments to the south.
The Israeli military, however, granted a two-day window for Syrian internal security forces to enter Sweida to restore calm.
“In light of the ongoing instability in southwest Syria, Israel has agreed to allow limited entry of Syrian internal forces into Sweida for the next 48 hours,” an Israeli official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Despite the ceasefire, fresh clashes continued in parts of northern and western Sweida on Friday, with reports of heavy gunfire and artillery exchange. Locals reported acute shortages of food, water, fuel, and electricity, saying the city had been plunged into a humanitarian disaster.
“For four days, there has been no electricity, no fuel, no food, no drink—nothing at all,” said Mudar, a 28-year-old Sweida resident who declined to give his full name over fears of reprisal. “We can’t get news easily because there’s barely internet or phone coverage.”
The United Nations has raised concerns about widespread human rights abuses during the conflict. The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) reported credible accounts of extrajudicial killings, kidnappings, and attacks on civilians. One such incident on Tuesday allegedly saw 13 people shot dead at a family gathering, while six others were summarily executed near their homes.
Syria’s interim government has accused Israel of attempting to fracture the country through military aggression and backing anti-government groups. Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa vowed to protect the Druze community and restore stability in the region.
Meanwhile, thousands of armed Bedouin fighters were reported to be streaming into Sweida, raising fears of a renewed spiral of violence. A security source told Reuters that Syrian security forces stationed in nearby Daraa were awaiting final clearance to move into Sweida under the ceasefire terms.
The Syrian Network for Human Rights confirmed that among the 321 people killed since Sunday were women, children, medics, and civilians, many of whom were reportedly executed in the streets. Syria’s emergency services minister said more than 500 wounded have been treated, with hundreds of families evacuated from the area.
The UN refugee agency on Friday called on all parties to allow humanitarian access, warning that aid workers have been unable to reach trapped civilians due to ongoing violence.
While Washington has supported diplomatic efforts for a ceasefire, the Biden administration distanced itself from the Israeli airstrikes, stating it did not endorse the attacks on Syria.
