ADVERTISEMENT

Snapping of high-tension power caused Lagos plank market f!re – Officials reveals

ADVERTISEMENT

 

Snapping of high-tension power caused Lagos plank market f!re – Officials reveals

Related posts

A plank market located in the Awori bus stop in the Abule Egba area of Lagos State was gutted by fire on Sunday destroying goods and property worth millions of naira.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, five minibuses, two pickup vans, and two cars were lost to the fire.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident occurred at about 3:00 pm on Sunday.

In a video sent to our correspondent, a significant portion of the sawmill was reduced to ashes while a small portion of the sawmill remained unaffected by the fire.

The shopkeepers attempted to save their unaffected items from the fire, while the fire departments were working to douse the flames.

The Director, Public Affairs, Ahmodu Shakiri Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service disclosed that the cause of the fire was due to the breaking of a high-tension power cable on a row of market stalls, which resulted in a bang and an explosion of fire.

He added, “The cause is attributed to the snapping of a high-tension power cable on a row of market stalls which subsequently erupted in fire accompanied by a bang. The resultant fire is aided by the dry nature of the combustible wooden materials involved leading to the sporadic spread. Five rows of various sizes stalls nine vehicles consisting of five minibuses, two pickup vans and two cars were destroyed in the fire.

“They called by 15:47hrs and the fire rescue service got there by 15:56hrs. The accident occurred at Awori bus stop, Abule Egba, Lagos Abeokuta Expressway. It is a sawmill fire on a vast land. The fire has been curtailed from spreading beyond the sawmill and put under control.

“The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service in Agege, Abesan, and Alausa Fire Station were present on the scene to put off the fire immediately. There was no casualty recorded.”

Earlier, PUNCH reported that the Household of David church in Surulere Street, Adeniyi Jones in the Ikeja Local Government Area of Lagos State has lost its multi-million naira church auditorium to a fire incident that gutted the church building.

The church’s auditorium ceiling was overheating, which caused it to collapse and ignite a fire.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Leave a Reply

Related Posts

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.