Only Desmond Elliott Refused to Step Down for Me — Lagos Assembly Aspirant Bakare-Odunuga

Only Desmond Elliott Refused to Step Down for Me — Lagos Assembly Aspirant Bakare-Odunuga

According to a report by Premium Times on Monday, May 18, 2026, former Special Adviser on Housing to Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Barakat Bakare-Odunuga, has formally declared her intention to contest for the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket for Surulere Constituency I in the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Bakare-Odunuga will face incumbent lawmaker Desmond Elliott, who is seeking a fourth consecutive term in the Assembly ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Speaking during a political gathering held on Sunday in Surulere, the former aide said several aspirants had withdrawn from the race and endorsed her ambition, leaving Elliott as the only contender still insisting on participating in the APC primary election scheduled for May 20.

“The others stepped down and are supporting me and they’re all here, but the only person that didn’t step down and insisted on going to the primaries is Hon. Desmond Elliott. I wish him all the best, and I wish myself luck too,” she said.

The event, which took place at The Stable in the Bode Thomas area of Surulere, drew prominent APC stakeholders, party supporters and political allies in what observers described as a major show of strength ahead of the primaries.

Among those present were the Special Adviser to the Lagos State Governor on Tourism, Idris Aregbe, and the member representing Surulere Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Fuad Laguda.

Several party loyalists and supporters reportedly pledged support for Bakare-Odunuga during the gathering, with some aspirants said to have officially withdrawn from the race in her favour.

Laguda urged APC members in the constituency to unite behind her aspiration, while Aregbe assured her of political backing, saying his structure and supporters would speak with “one voice” during the primaries.

In a dramatic moment at the event, one of the campaign figures previously aligned with Elliott reportedly announced his withdrawal from the lawmaker’s re-election campaign to support Bakare-Odunuga’s bid, drawing loud cheers from supporters at the venue.

Addressing supporters after accepting the endorsements, Bakare-Odunuga described Surulere as more than a political constituency, calling it a commitment she was determined to honour through effective representation.

“Surulere is not just a constituency — it is a covenant. And today, I am making a covenant with every man, every woman, every trader, every student, and every elder in this great land,” she stated.

She also outlined her priorities if elected into the Assembly, promising to focus on infrastructure development, education, healthcare and youth empowerment.

“I will not go to that hallowed chamber to warm a seat,” she added.

Her declaration comes amid growing tension within the Surulere chapter of the APC ahead of the party’s primary election.

In a viral video circulating online, Elliott alleged intimidation, political victimisation and the withdrawal of his security aides in the lead-up to the exercise.

The actor-turned-politician accused unnamed party leaders and local government officials of allegedly pressuring members to support a preferred candidate, claims that have further heightened internal divisions within the party.

He also claimed that some of his supporters had faced political backlash because of their loyalty to him.

CATEGORIES
Share This

COMMENTS

Wordpress (0)
Disqus ( )