9 Effective ways to Avoid Depression – Banji Alabi
depression isn’t about the outside; it’s about the inside, Depression is REAL…….
This morning, I will attempt to talk about depression, as more and more people are falling victim to it; it does not spare anyone – the rich, the powerful, the poor, the young, the old, men, women, boys, girls – no one is free from its menace.
What people never understand is that depression isn’t about the outside; it’s about the inside.
May the words you use today change the world. Proverb 12:18 NIV – “The words of the reckless pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
HOW YOU CAN HELP TO STOP THE SPREAD OF DEPRESSION IN OUR COMMUNITY
How do you talk to your kids, spouse, friends, co-workers, family members, and neighbors? The solution starts with you and me. Please let your words heal and not wound. Be the one to find gold in people.
You have the power to put someone on their feet. You have the power to keep them from falling into depression. Take time to be a healer, a lifter, a sponsor, and a blessing to others. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. The essence of living is to add value in every one of our interactions with others.
Jesus Christ, our Lord and Commander in Chief, has already set a standard and defines the pathway that we are to follow. Acts 10:38, the Bible says – Jesus Christ went about doing good and adding value to people:
Matthew 11:5 – “The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.”
The essence of living is in helping others to succeed.
Add value to people, create value. If you notice a gap, help bridge the gap, help solve the problems in your community, help others achieve their dreams and goals, and put words across in support of a worthy mission.
I challenge you to help bridge the gap in our communities and make our communities better and safer for all of us to pursue our dreams without let or hindrance. The time for action is now. It’s never too late.
HOW TO AVOID DEPRESSION
God chooses what we go through. We choose how we go through it. God blows the wind; we control our sails, and our sail is our attitude. What is an attitude?
Attitude is a settled way of thinking, reacting, or feeling about something.
My dear friend, to experience a change in attitude, do the following:
(1) Problem-solving skills: Our attitudes are rooted in our thoughts. Negative thoughts produce a negative attitude. We must become conscious of the thoughts that do not agree with the Word of God and ethical standards in our minds in order to eliminate them.
Ethical standards are virtues of honesty, compassion, and loyalty, the right to life, the right to freedom from injury, and the right to privacy.
(2) Become conscious of your emotions. Specify the feelings that make them negative. Feelings like depression, discouragement, worry, frustration, and so on. Overcome them by deleting such thinking and thought processes through strategic thinking, prayers, and becoming an incurable optimist like me.
(3) Identify problem words. Words have a tremendous impact on our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. We must identify the words that provoke negative thinking and negative talking and delete them. Let’s line up and dwell with noble words, develop the power of imagination of a great future, and dwell on it day and night. If you can see it, you will get it. Joseph got what he saw.
(4) Forgive and forget about past hurts, dwell day and night on the words of God, which say it shall be well with you.
(5) Act yourself into changing. Whenever you realize that negative thoughts and emotions are creeping in, stop the flow. Move deliberately to positive thoughts and feelings. Take time to pray. Don’t allow yourself to sink into depression.
(6) Spend time with positive people, spend time with incurable optimists – people who always see the glass as half-full, and there’s no change in their cheerful nature. Listen to music, hang out with noble people, friends that love and celebrate you,
(7) Build a big wall between yourself, negative people, and friends who don’t celebrate you. Engage in sports, go to parties, set great goals, believe in your goals, make sacrifices for your goals, be an excellent skilled worker, read books, be the preferred candidate for the job, and follow your road map to the end.
(8) Dwell in the Word of God too. It will give you God’s perspective on issues. God does not just see obstacles; He sees miracles.
(9) Finally, always give thanks. Jesus did that with five loaves and two fishes and got a miracle of transformation.
As you show your gratitude, miracles will happen in your life.
You will succeed.
I love you.
SAY NO TO DEPRESSION